Monday, December 28, 2015

A Little Brown Wren

Carolina Wren

http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/carolina-wren

Earlier this year Colette Patterns released the Wren dress pattern.  Although I had planned on saving this lovely for spring, (j'adore version 2,) I found some good quality tan, cotton-blend jersey that was calling me to make it into a winter version.


I sewed up version 1, adding a full ten inches to the length and using the three-quarter length sleeve variation Sarai put online, to make it suitable for chilly temperatures.


The pattern goes together beautifully and is very intuitive.  I used a size small bodice and graded to a medium at the waist and hips.  The bodice is quite form-fitting, which is nice, but I will probably sew a straight medium for my spring version.  I used clear elastic at the shoulder seams and across the front necklines, as another sewist commented online that hers was a little gapey at the bust. I didn't have this problem, whether because of the elastic, or how I fitted it, I'm not sure.

I would advise that if you sew this up for yourself, you should definitely baste the bodice to the skirt before doing any real sewing and try it on.  I adjusted the placement of the front wrap quite a bit to get a flattering fit for my figure.  The beauty of this bodice is that just like you can adjust a wrap dress to hang just right on you, you can similarly adjust this bodice before sewing.

I also raised the neckline in the back about a half inch, just for personal preference.  I sewed most of it on my serger, but double needle hemmed the sleeves and bottom hem using wonder under tape.  I am loving what a difference using this tape makes in getting a professional looking hem on a home machine.  I had no tunneling, stretch, or skipped stitches, and the brand I bought,(Dritz,) washes out and does not leave a residue on your needle.  Fabulous stuff.

This pattern makes a very wearable addition to my daily wardrobe.  I can style it vintage:
or with a more contemporary edge.

What are you up to this winter?


Xx Piper

The contents of this blog are property of the owner unless indicated otherwise.  Please do not use or copy without permission.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your happiest of thoughts!